Please be aware that throughout Luzerne County and Northeastern PA, United States Postal Service (USPS) mail drop boxes have been and continue to be the target of forced entry and theft. Perpetrators are not just fishing mail out of the boxes, they are forcing open the boxes and stealing all contents. If you are mailing checks, this may lead to an increase in altered or fictitious check attempts on your account(s). Please be diligent in reviewing your accounts on a daily basis and contact the bank the moment you notice anything out of the ordinary.
There are several ways you can proactively lower the risk of check fraud on your account(s)!
- Keep your checks secure. Don’t leave them in your car or on a table at home. Always keep them in a safe location.
- Fill out all empty spaces when writing checks and don’t leave room for alterations.
- Balance your checkbook to your bank statement(s) each month.
- Sign up for online banking so you can check your balances and transactions on a daily basis.
- Use checks sparingly. The more checks you write, the greater the chance of one falling into the wrong hands.
- Whenever possible, take mail inside the Post Office instead of using the outside drop boxes.
- Sign up and use a service such as Bill Pay to automate and pay your bills electronically.
- Enroll in eStatements so you don’t have printed statements being sent in the mail.
Questions? Contact us!
You can contact us by phone, 570-752-3671 or 888-759-2266, or via our website at www.fkc.bank.